1st Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
The 1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University in Bratislava offers a complex obstetrics and gynaecological health-care to patients from the whole Slovakia.
The obstetrical part of the department is mostly focused on the preterm deliveries (it is the part of the 3rd level perinatological centre), further on the prenatal diagnostic procedures, on haelth-care for all types of pathological pregnancies, especially pregnant women with all types of diabetes mellitus and with cardiomyopathies.
The gynaecological part of the department is mostly specialized in the field of assissted reproduction, climacterium and senium, pediatric and adolescent gynaecology, urogynaecology, gynaecological oncological diesease and breast diseases.
The 1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University in Bratislava is the national centre for assissted reproduction and trofoblastic diseases of Ministry of Health of Slovak republic.
The structure of the department
· Obstetric part:
o Delivery rooms – 2 waiting rooms, 4 standard delivary rooms and 1 above standard delivery room, operation theatre for caesarean section
o Postpartum care unit, rooming in system with the status of „Baby friendly hospital“
- Gynaecological part:
- Gynaecology surgery unit
- One day surgery
- Diagnosis and management of the other gynaecological disaeses
- Centre of the reproductive medicine of University Hospital Bratislava
- infertility – diagnosis and treatment (conservative & surgical)
- all methods of the assissted reproduction
- consultation in field of embryology, genetics and immunology
The department offers a high-specialized health-care in these obstetric topics:
· Highest level of perinatological centre: Neonatological department of M. Rusnák of Slovak Medical University. Together we accept and manage the „transports in utero“ patients from the whole Bratislava and western Slovakia region.
· Complex preventive, diagnostic and therapeutical health-care with focus on all types of pathological and high-risk pregnancies. The department centralized the complicated pregnancies from all hospitals in Bratislava and western Slovakia region.
- The obstetric unit has the highest number of deliveries per year in Slovakia (app. 3000) . While the department is supporting spontaneous and natural labours and the physiological labours are provided by midwifes and is trying to lower the caesarean section rate, not only the pregnant women from the Bratislava region are searching for labour at our department.
- Of course department is prepared for all complications and acute situation during the labour and provide all kinds of obstetric surgeries.
The department offers a high-specialized health-care in these gynaecological topics:
- family planning
- infertility consultation – diagnosis, managment and all methods of assisted reproduction
- gynaecological endocrinology
- consultation in field of climacterium and menopause
- pediatric and adolescent gynaecology and conservative and surgical management for girls with congenital abnormalities of genitals
- diagnosis of urine incontinence and pelvic floor diseases together with conservative and surgical treatment
- complex diagnosis and management of cervical pathologies
- diagnosis and surgical managment of gynaecological oncological diseases together with breast oncological diseases
- diagnosis and management of gynaecological inflamation
- diagnosis and management of acute gynaecological cases
- the gynaecological surgery is mostly oriented towards newest methods, especially endoscopic procedures – laparoscopies and hysteroscopies and there is still high-quality of open abdominal surgeries and vaginal gynaecological surgeries. The oncogynaecological surgeries are performed in coperation with oncological surgeons and surgeons from the angiosurgery department.
The department offers a high-specialized health-care in these topics of reproductive medicine:
- complex diagnosis and management of female and male infertility
- endoscopi diagnosis and management of infertility
- embryological and genetic methods to increase the success assissted reproduction methods (the stuff of laboratories is on the highest european level and the centre is equipped with the newest laboratory technique)
- prevention and management of complication of assissted reproduction methods. The department deals also with the complications from other mostly outpatient centres of reproductive medicine
- the heatlh-care for the early pregnancies after methods of assissted reproduction together with further prenatal and peripartum care
In all mentioned fields of obstetrics, gynaecology and reproductive medicine the department offer high-specialised outpatient health care provided by obstetricsians and gynaecologists specialized in that concrete field.
Ultrasound diagnosis provided at the outpatient clinic of department provide all types of investigation (rutine ultrasound, specialised and high-specialised consulting ultrasound together with 3D and 4D in Obstetrics and Gynaecology).
Ján Dlhopolček, MD
Eva Korňanová, MD