Pre-presidency conference at Comenius University in Bratislava
2 - 3 June 2016 (Thursday - Friday), Comenius University in Bratislava, Šafárikovo nám. 6
By: CU Public Relations Office
Programme Thursday 2 June 2016
12.30 – 13.30 Welcome to participants & registration
13.30 – 14.30 Official opening
Welcoming words by:
Prof. RNDr. Karol Mičieta, PhD. (Rector of Comenius University in Bratislava)
Assoc. Prof. Lucia Mokrá (Dean of Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences CU)
Prof. Jaap de Zwaan (TEPSA Secretary General, Lecturer European Integration, The Hague University for Applied Sciences, Em. Professor of the Law of the European Union, Erasmus University Rotterdam)
14.30 – 16.00 Session I.
Slovak Presidency and the key issues of the EU agenda
Introductory Remarks by:
Ivan Korčok (State Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic/Plenipotentiary of the Government for the Slovak Presidency of the Council of the EU): Priorities of the presidency
1) Oľga Gyarfášová (Director, Institute of European Studies and International Relations): How the EU is understood in Slovakia (reflection on the recent parliamentary elections)
2) Jaroslav Naď (Slovak Security Policy Institute): Defence strategy and policy – reflection to deeper communication between member states and with other actors
3) Funda Tekin (CIFE): Recommendations to Slovak Presidency on behalf of TEPSA
16.15 – 17.30 Session II.
Employment and competitiveness of the EU in the world market EU in the global
Chair: Oľga Gyarfášová (IESIR)
1) Miroslav Beblavý (Centre for European Policy Studies, MP)
2) Andras Inotai (TEPSA Board, IWE)
3) Miroslav Štefánik (Slovak Academy of Science)
17.30 – 19.30 TEPSA General Assembly
Programme Friday 3 June 2016
08.45 – 9.00 Welcome coffee and tea
9.00 – 10.15 Session III.
EU as area of freedom, security and justice – for citizens only?
Migration crisis, development agenda, humanitarian principles crisis in the Europe, future of Schengen
Chair: Aliaksei Kazharski (IESIR)
1) Jaap de Zwaan (TEPSA Secretary General)
2) Nikos Frangakis/ prof. Spyridon Flogaitis (EKEME/EPLO)
3) Zivka Deleva (former IESIR)
10.15 – 12.00 Session IV.
Security challenges in Europe as a challenge to humanity? Defence cooperation, energy security, cooperation of international actors in cooperation with the Ministry of Defence of the SR
Chair: Andrea Figulová
1) Róbert Tibenský (Director General of Defence Policy Department, Ministry of Defence of the Slovak Republic)
2) Gianni Bonvicini (TEPSA Board, IAI)
3) Hanna Ojanen (TEPSA Board, University of Tampere)
12.00 – 13.15 LUNCH
13.15 – 14.45 Session V.
Fiscal and monetary union – cooperation or competition model?
in cooperation with the Ministry of Finance of the SR
Chair: Tomáš Profant (IESIR)
1) Ivan Lesay (Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic, State Secretary)
2) Iain Begg (TEPSA Board, LSE)
15.00 – 16.00 Concluding Session
Challenges and opportunities for the Slovak Presidency - Setting the Agenda for the European Council
Conclusions of the IESIR | TEPSA Pre-Presidency Conference 2016
Moderator: Wolfgang Wessels (TEPSA Chairperson, Jean Monnet Chair ad personam at CETEUS |Centre for Turkey and EU Studies, University of Cologne)
Panellists: Chairs from the sessions